Saturday 13 April 2013

Working hard or hardly working?

Over the last month I've flown to a few meetings for work.  When I was full-time BK (before kids) I went to some great locations like San Francisco a few times, Chicago (fav!), & Montreal (fav!).  I certainly didn't think I wanted to travel since being back part-time.  However, this last month proved me wrong.  Meeting #1:  San Diego.  Coronado Island to be exact.  Hotel Del on Coronado to be even more exact.  Pinch me!

I flew down early landing at 9:30am.  This meant I had exactly 9 1/2 hours before I needed to be anywhere.  Ready?  Explore!
So, I walked into this famous hotel, 
Checked-in in this lobby, 
And, got a key for THIS room....  Oh, what's behind those curtains you ask?  
BOOM.  I had this view.  Bananas, I tell you.  I was going bananas.  
This tiny morsel of a window had a direct west facing view of all beach.  
Corner room on top floor, anyone?  This is why one should always check-in early & smile at the staff.  I was in paradise.  (Paradise alone, wishing my family was with me but, it was still paradise for about 30 hours.)

At this time I had about 8 hours to do a bike tour of the island, read, lunch, swim, walk on the beach & eat ice cream, MooTime ice cream.

Rented a bike for 3 hours & toured this tiny yet scenic island.  
If you have never been to this island off the coast of San Diego, it's a must see.  It's basically half navy base and half ga-jillion dollar homes with some fancy-schmancy hotels along the beaches.  We usually make it out there on every San Diego trip but, have never stayed longer than an hour or two...

(Lifted this map from internet.)  
This is the Coronado Bridge, (the 2nd most popular bridge to jump, following the Golden Gate & leading in front of our Aurora Bridge...)  Other than that sad fact, it really is beautiful.  
After riding, I hit the pool & read.  But, when you're in such a beautiful place like this, I felt guilty being at the pool & not sitting at the "real pool" 50 yards away.    
So, I hit the beach.  
My room is pretty much in the center of this photo, top corner.  
Sunset.  

Sunrise.  

I will go back someday... 
Meeting #2 was Phoenix.  It was the exact opposite.  Great hotel but, no view, totally boring downtown location.  NOTHING to do.  I mean, nothing.  There were about 2 stores open in each "shopping mall".  I don't know how many times one can walk into Urban Outfitters or Charming Charlies but, I'm sure I set the record.  It was a good meeting but, overall lame location.




Fortunately there was a DDD restaurant here.  This place & it's bacon was my saving grace.  

 Without a minute to spare - I flew home, ate dinner with the fam & was around to give my son his birthday gifts before tucking my big 3 year old into bed.
Happy Birthday sweet Axey Benj.  Mama loves you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment